What is Yoga Therapy?
Medical doctors have been, increasingly, recommending the practice of yoga to their patients. We hear a lot of people telling us “my doctor said I should do yoga“. The benefits of practicing yoga are limitless. Yoga meets your body at its present state and works to balance out every issue. We know that you can heal yourself because of the incredible results we have witnessed.
Yoga Therapy* is an emerging field. It services the gap between physical therapy and a group class. It allows the yoga therapist to pull from many different therapeutic yoga modules, in order to tailor each session specifically for you. It is an integrated approach to your well-being, mind, body and spirit.
Our Yoga Therapy practice focuses on:
- Athletic conditioning & injury prevention
- Issues related to chronic pain
- Rehabilitation after physical therapy
- Physical handicaps & degenerative diseases
- Mental health issues such as anxiety, stress and depression
Grace has been conducting these personalized yoga therapy sessions for the last eight years. It has been one of the most fulfilling aspects of her yoga career. Each case has been unique.
Here are a few case examples:
- Stroke rehabilitation: The client had hemiparesis, left-sided paralysis due to a stroke. We started with restorative yoga, breathing and a lot of emotional/mental support. We gradually advanced to chair yoga, then standing with a chair, and after a year or so, she was able to do many standing poses without any support.
- Degenerative diseases and chronic pain: The client was born with Charcot Marie Tooth Disease. CMT causes chronic pain, limits mobility and creates a lot of imbalances in the body. In addition, the client had a stressful job in which she sat for long periods of time. In our weekly meetings we worked to address all of these issues.
- Chronic lower back pain and mental health issues: The client, after starting a new job which required standing for long periods of time, started experiencing chronic lower back pain. In addition, there were major life changes that brought about panic attacks related to anxiety. We started with restorative & yin yoga plus a number of other practices to relieve lower back pain. We used meditation and mindfulness to relieve panic attacks associated with anxiety.
- Athletic conditioning: The client was an extremely active senior gentleman, with a passion for tennis. We worked to keep his body’s mobility fluid, in order to stay flexible and to help prevent injury.
- Physical handicap due to amputation: The client was a young veteran with a double amputation below the knee. We worked on building upper body and core strength, as well as spinal conditioning. We also focused on creating greater hip mobility.
- Deconditioned body and breathing difficulties: The client was a gentleman in his eighties, who recently had bypass surgery. His body was deconditioned due to years of physical labor and a lack of exercise. He had two hip replacements, done ten years apart, which created an imbalance in the hip area. He also had serious respiratory issues. We used many practices such as chair yoga, barre yoga, restorative yoga, and pranayama to restore his sense of well-being.
- Stress and long periods of sitting: The clients were two sisters living on opposite sides of the country. Sessions were conducted via ZOOM. Both have very stressful jobs, and sat at the computer for long periods of time daily. Each week was a different focus such as building strength, creating flexibly, and hip and shoulder mobility. We also included short meditation and mindful practices to help reduce stress.
Booking Your Sessions:
Our sessions are held at Studioworks yoga studio at Powerhouse Fitness & Gym in Plymouth. It is a beautiful studio, equipped with all of the necessary props for delivering the perfect session. We also offer successful online ZOOM sessions.
Studio Address: Studioworks at Powerhouse Fitness & Gym, 7 Herring Pond Rd, Plymouth MA 02360
Each session is 60 minutes long and your first session starts with a free 20-minute consultation. Purchase your session/s with April Harrington at 508-833-7976. Her hours are Mon/Wed/Fri 4:30am-2:30pm and Tues/Thurs 8am-3:00pm. You can make your purchase over the phone (receipts will be given to you at your first session) or in person at the gym.
After payments and waivers are completed, schedule your appointment/s directly with Grace. You can call, text (781-264-2345) or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions related to any of our yoga therapy services, please feel free to call us.
Single session: $70.00
TWO PERSON SESSIONS:
Single session: $100.00
*Disclaimer: Yoga therapy is not intended to replace professional medical treatment. Consult your doctor.